Saturday, August 7, 2010

Running? The Shoes are Important.

Nike Bowerman Zoom Series.
If you decide to start running, make sure you choose the right running shoes. The shoes are critical to the success of  your running plans because it is the only thing that separates you from your body and the hard surface of the road or the treadmill. Shoes that fit snugly and comfortably to your feet will make running fun and prevent injury.

Each of us run differently, depending on the type of feet that we have. Some of us have high arch, while others have a low-arch. Accordingly, we must choose matching shoes. The term "one-size-fits-all" does not apply when it comes to running shoes. We must wear shoes that suit our feet

This article gives excellent advice on how to determine your feet type and then choose the right shoes for your running needs.

After experimenting with different brands, I have settled down with the "Nike Bowerman Series". They are light and comfortable, and most importantly for me, they are compatible with the Nike+ Running System.

In recent years, there has been a momentum (based on research and scientific data) towards running barefoot.  Barefoot running involves running without any shoes and changing the style of how we run. Normally, when we run with shoes, we land on our heels and shoes are accordingly designed so that the heels absorb the shock of our body hitting the hard surface. If we remove the shoes out of the equation, our body automatically compensates by landing on the toes (to act as a shock absorber). Research done on barefoot running claims that this form of running is more beneficial to our bodies (especially our joints) in the long run - compared to running with shoes.

Running barefoot is not really practical for me. Even if I wanted to experiment with barefoot running, I would have a hard time explaining it to the gym management, as most gyms prohibit entering the gym area without proper shoes. However, if you need more information on barefoot running, this site is a good resource.

Even shoe manufacturers are getting into the barefoot running action. The Vibram Five Fingers are designed for barefoot runners by providing basic protection. Nike has also released their Free Run shoes that are supposed to simulate the barefoot running experience. Of course, hardcore barefoot runners will scoff at putting any shoes but those who want to start slowly might want to give them a try.

4 comments:

  1. Shoes go a long way when it comes to running. I've tired Reebok and Adidas, must try Nike soon. Question, do wide shoes cause blisters or narrow ones. My Adidas are a bit wide and everytime I run more than an hour, I end up with blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bader, I always make sure that my feet are snug. I have slightly wide feet so I buy shoes that are wide. I run for 2 hours without any problems and have never encountered blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bader: I used to get blisters on the side of my big toe after a 6 or 8 Km workout, then I tried a pair of really thick cotton sports socks and its ok now. Now I also have thicker skin where I used to get blisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. bloggermathai, you are absolutely right. Socks are equally important and something I should have mentioned in the main article.
    I get mine from Athletes foot. They are thick cotton type and have a nice cushion effect. They come in a pack of 4 or 6 (not exactly sure).

    ReplyDelete