Thursday, August 12, 2010

Want Something? Say it or Write it Down.

Few months back, I was in India to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary, and I came across a family friend after more than 20 years. She is a widow who raised 3 children all on her own and now the children have become successful adults. The thing is, she looked just as I remembered her 20 years back. Young, energetic and full of life.

Somehow the conversation turned to setting objectives and she had this very simple advice for me:
"You can do anything you set out to do - but you must say it for it to become real"

I thought those were very powerful words. And they are - especially when it comes to fitness. In his book "The Body Fat Solution", Tom Venuto writes:

"An idea, wish, or fantasy becomes a goal the instant you put it in writing. The act of writing helps put it on your brain's important list faster. Having your goals in writing also helps you use the power of repetition because you can read them repeatedly so they don't slip out of sight and out of mind"

I can relate to both my family friend as well as Tom Venuto. I decided to write down my objectives on this blog and follow them through by posting about my progress towards those objectives (NOTE: my objective is to get a six-pack. haha).

Many times, I feel tired or want to take a break from my regular training but this blog helps me to keep focused on what I want to achieve. The idea of writing my next blog entry with an update encourages me to plan my next days activities. In a way, I guess this blog is more for me - as MY motivator.

Finally, I'd like to share this very powerful words by Ross Enamait.


"Somewhere along the line people have been fooled into believing that life is supposed to be easy. I often work 12+ hour days, and there are weeks when I work 7 days. I perform my own workout at the crack of dawn. Do I enjoy waking up at 4AM? Not really, but I get it done. I have a wife and son, with another on the way next month. I also have dogs, house work, work in the yard, etc. I’m beyond busy. Oh well, that’s life. I won’t cry about it and feel bad for myself. I won’t rush to the local fast food restaurant. I cook much of my food ahead of time. I make time. I find a way. Most people aren’t trying to make time. They aren’t making an effort.


We need to stop making excuses for others. People need to stop feeling bad for themselves. Life is tough. That’s a fact. There are good times and bad times. There are action takers and action fakers. There are ultra busy professionals who make time for fitness, while others don’t. We all have options, and we all make our own decisions. If someone has made poor decisions, I won’t sugarcoat it and console them with more excuses."
- Ross Enamait

No comments:

Post a Comment