Sunday, June 13, 2010

Running and a Six-Pack. Is it possible?

First Blog Entry.
This is my first blog post, so let me start by giving a brief introduction about myself.

I was a long-distance runner during my college days and represented my college in the 5K and 10K runs. It is the only form of exercise that I was good at, and it helped me to maintain a trim and fit body.

That is..until I came to Kuwait, got married, and had 2 kids. Stressful work, family commitments, and living in a country with harsh climate meant that fitness took a backseat.

My fitness got a kick-start when a colleague at work casually inquired if I was pregnant. This was about 3 years ago. That question haunted me for a few weeks and I finally decided to do something about it. I really wish I had taken a picture of myself at that time to serve as a reference image, but, alas, I was too embarrassed of my body at that time and never took a self-portrait.

I initially started on my fitness journey by purchasing a treadmill and religiously started using it. At some point, I realized that the treadmill was not sufficient and invested in a stationary bicycle. I added some home fitness videos (more about this in a later post) to the mix.


Though I saw some difference, it was not the difference I was hoping for. I soon realized that I needed to join a proper gym, if I wanted to move to the next level. Last year, the whole family joined the Nautilus Fitness Center (part of Crowne Plaza, Kuwait) and I started working out seriously with a dedicated trainer.

There were some moderate improvements, but again, the improvements were below my expectations. Further research and reading made me realize that I was ignoring the main aspect of fitness. A proper diet plan. After some analysis, I finally selected a good diet plan and it was at this point that I could see my body responding the way I wanted it to be.

This is me...today. Have I reached my goal? Hell no. My objective now is to carve a nice six-pack and this blog will serve as a journey to help me achieve this transformation.

Since my main form of exercise is long distance running, the big question remains: Can you carve a six-pack through running?. I really don't know. Research indicates that you can. I plan to test this theory by documenting everything that I do and the type of food that I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment