Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wake up to Water.

When we get up in the morning, the first thing that most of us do is rush to the kitchen to get our early dose of tea or coffee. I used to do the same until I was convinced otherwise when I read this article on my favorite health website www.menshealth.com.

The reasoning is very simple. If we got a good nights sleep of 8 hours, it means our body was deprived of food and water during those 8 hours and we will be extremely dehydrated when we get up. So it makes perfect sense to hydrate our body first thing in the morning. Of course, there is no reason why we shouldn't drink our tea or coffee, but this should happen after drinking the water.

The amount of water that you drink first thing in the morning is important. It should be 2 glasses (around 500 ml). It has been scientifically proven that drinking around 480ml of chilled water in the morning boosts your metabolism by 24% for 90 minutes after you drink the water. This means:
  - You will burn more 24% more calories for 90 minutes without doing anything.
  - You prepare your body for the breakfast that will follow.

I know that drinking 2 whole glasses of water first thing in the morning is not easy. It took me couple of weeks to get adjusted to it. But now it is part of my daily routine.

I should also mention that drinking lots of water through out the day is also important. Make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water during the day. More if you are doing workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment